In the sadness and strangeness of loss my heart is warmed by unexpected thoughtfulness that more than replaces the emptiness I have felt. Why grieve over something so shallow? Is it the grief that comes from wishing for something that never was and never could be? Is that the tragedy that I feel?
Dearest Meira, you warmed my heart with a mezusah that I can wear on a chain around my neck! Lynne, you worked under stress to save me $140 which I could not come up with for my Bat Mitzvah party! What blessings! Shall I go on crying and wishing when those loving arms of my beloved friends do so much to fill the emptiness and show that I mean something to them? I think of David grieving for Absalom and the rebuke of Joab who told him that his whole country stood by him while he had gone to peices weeping for his wicked son who stole his wives and had set out to kill his own father.
What is my loss in comparison to the good things that always come my way? I will never know what could have been. I will never know what a little more time may have merited me, but I do know that what I have done is done and the consequences of that action will in the long run, be better for my health and happiness than if I had remained in a stupid state of indecision. What's done is done, now let me rejoice and get on with my life!
No comments:
Post a Comment